Azim: Smith showdown is 'massive' but I'll become Euro king first


On November 18, live on Sky Sports, Adam Azim will face Franck Petitjean for the European super-lightweight championship, and Tyler Denny will face Matteo Signani for the European middleweight championship in Wolverhampton.




A "massive" clash between Adam Azim and Dalton Smith "will happen," but first he wants to outdo his domestic competitors by winning the European championship.




On November 18, live on Sky Sports, the unbeaten 21-year-old will square off against Franck Petitjean for the European super-lightweight championship in Wolverhampton.




Azim's future ambitions may include a matchup with Smith, the current British and Commonwealth champion, but for now, he is focusing on his own professional path, which is advancing him toward the top competitors in the category.

"Down the line, it would be something massive," Azim said to Sky Sports.




We're both headed toward being world champions, so now is not the time for a fight. I think we can increase the size of the fight if we win the global championship.




"But for now, the European title is on my mind. Due to my pursuit of the EBU championship, I haven't even glanced at that once. I did the Fanyan battle in order to demonstrate that I am prepared for the EBU




"That fight will occur if it occurs in the future. It's going to happen eventually. There isn't a fuss. My focus is on winning the title in Europe and bringing it back to America.

Azim is determined not to let this chance to become the first British-Pakistani to hold the title pass him by.




"Winning the EBU title is a massive accomplishment for me," he stated. If I were to win the EBU title in my upcoming fight, it would be huge among the British-Asian and Pakistani communities. I won't let this slip by, and I'll give it everything I've got.

Azim won three first-round stoppages last year, and since then, his level of competition has increased. He is prepared for another difficult challenge because to his valiant victories over Santos Reyes and Aram Fanyan, both of which were awarded unanimous decisions."I definitely need the experience like Fanyan," he replied."I've faced two tenacious opponents in two tough matches, and I believe that this was excellent practice for the European crown. I excelled in the two fights and came out on top. It demonstrates that I can check off items in several departments. For the EBU crown, I'm prepared.

Last year, Azim secured three first-round stoppages, and since then, he has elevated his level of competition. Hard-fought victories over Santos Reyes and Aram Fanyan, both of which were achieved via unanimous decisions, have ensured he is ready for another stern test.




"I definitely need the experience like Fanyan," he said." I've had two hard fights, two durable opponents, and I feel like this was great preparation for the European title. I came out of them two fights with flying colours. It shows that I can tick boxes in different departments. I'm ready for the EBU title.




"I had the highlight knockouts in the early stage of my career. This is the learning process for me now, for the next stage. I am in the European stage now, where the fights are going to get tougher. The training has to be smart. Everything has to be smart.




"Even in the fights, I don't get carried away. In the two fights I had, I felt like I developed as a fighter and my patience was really good in both of the fights."




On the same bill, Tyler Denny also aims to become a European champion when he challenges Matteo Signani for the middleweight belt.

Post a Comment

0 Comments