Dubois: Lescano fight will lead to Mayer | 'I know I can beat her'

 

Caroline Dubois is adamant that she can fight her way through to a clash with American star Mikaela Mayer; Dubois' next opponent Yanina Lescano has high world rankings; "If I go through my next four opponents, and go through them well, I reckon the Mayer fight can happen," Dubois declared

Caroline Dubois returns to action on Friday against Argentina’s highly-rated Yanina Lescano.


They fight, live on Sky Sports, at York Hall in the East End of London, Dubois' home city.


Victory would put Dubois in the frame for key fights in the lightweight division. Lescano is ranked with all four major world title sanctioning bodies. The Argentine is No 2 with the WBC, No 3 with the IBF and No 6 with both the WBO and the WBA.

That's where Dubois wants to be.


"She's got a really high ranking," the Londoner told Sky Sports. "It's going to push me ahead. It's going to push me forward.


"She's going to come out game. She's not going to want to lose. She's training for an upset. This is what she does, she wants to be in those big fights with the big names. She needs a big upset victory.



"I feel like this is the kind of fight that will push me forward in the ring in terms of experience and learning and outside of the ring in terms of my rankings and where I go from here."

Dubois wants to position herself eventually as a mandatory challenger for a world title. She believes that will lead her to a showdown with America's Mikaela Mayer.

I've been very vocal with who and where I want to go. I've said I'm having five fights this year," Dubois noted. "I've got four more to go. I want Mikaela Mayer to be the fifth one. I've been very vocal about that. If I keep pushing forward and I keep blasting [forward] like I am. I think I'll be able to get into that position."


The 22-year-old has taken aim at Mayer, a unified world champion at super-featherweight who has recently moved up to lightweight.


Dubois explained why that's a fight she's targeting: "One of the main reasons is because she's a good boxer. She's someone who I respect.


"I watched pretty much all of her fights going pro. I said that she's doing stuff that I want to one day do and she's progressing and doing things that I want to one day do and be. So I have a lot of boxing mutual respect for her."

But she added: "She's stepping up to my division, my weight class, 135lbs."


Mayer lost her WBO and IBF super-featherweight titles to Alycia Baumgardner on the big Claressa Shields vs Savannah Marshall bill in October at the O2 Arena. Dubois boxed on that undercard herself.


She said of Mayer: "As a boxer she's pushed forward and helped create big fights for females and she's helped break down those barriers. So it's someone that I want to be in the ring with and take that from her. I feel like when you step in the ring with someone and you beat someone you take their position from them. If they're the number one, you become the number one. If they're whatever, you take that from them.


"Mikaela Mayer, me, going to the O2, it just made me feel, yeah, I want to be in big fights. I want to be in those fights. I want to be in those moments. I want to be in those gut-wrenching feelings. I want to have that, I want to get that energy."





Post a Comment

0 Comments