Willie Limond retiring after stoppage defeat from Ricky Burns


After a pause, Ricky Burns overcomes Willie Limond, who is retiring In the battle of the Scottish veterans, Ricky Burns prevailed, forcing Willie Limond to withdraw at the conclusion of the eighth round.
  


Burns maintained control throughout the whole encounter, extracting blood from Limond's nose at the outset.

Modes:




2

That only grew more problematic for Limond as the fight wore on and the referee had no choice to step in.




Limond announced his retirement from the sport in the aftermath, with Burns hinting at the same.




"I always said I would have loved to get that one final fight in Glasgow," Coatbridge fighter Burns told BBC Scotland.




"I've always said, when I stop boxing, I never ever want to come back. I want to go out on my own terms. If this is to be it, I'm happy.




"Who knows. I've said that's me and I can retire and be happy. But, if that phone goes, it's a decent fight and my missus gives me the green light, it's game on."

As the bout continued, Limond faced additional difficulties, and the referee was forced to intervene.




In the wake of the incident, Limond made his departure from the sport official, and Burns made a similar implication.




According to Coatbridge fighter Burns, "I always said I would have loved to get that one final fight in Glasgow."




"I've always said that I don't want to box again when I finish. I'd like to leave on my own terms. I'm content if this is to be the end.




"Whose to say. I've stated that I am capable of retiring and enjoying myself. But if that phone disappears, there's a good fight, and my wife gives the go-ahead, it's game on.

Burns, 40, has throughout the years provided Glasgow with some boisterous fight nights; his triumph against Roman Martinez in 2010 to win his first world title stands out.




Additionally, he was determined to experience that environment one last time before hanging up the gloves because he had not competed in his hometown since 2017.




It was unclear how much of a test Limond would give Burns because he has only had two fights in the last six years and is 44 years old. Limond has sparred with some of boxing's top names, including Amir Khan and Erik Morales.

Modes:




2

A couple of overhand rights from Limond narrowly missed the target in the opening exchanges, but a sharp combination from Burns found its way through as the former three-weight world champion looked to establish a rhythm.




Limond continued to try to be the aggressor, although Burns' work was slicker and, by the end of the second, blood was streaming from his opponent's nose.




A Burns uppercut connected in the fourth and Limond's face was now splattered in blood from an apparent broken nose. That did not deter the underdog, who caught the Lanarkshire fighter on the way in with a good counter right.

In the opening exchanges, Limond narrowly missed with a pair of overhand rights, but Burns, the former three-weight world champion, tried to get into a rhythm and managed to go through with a quick combination.




Although Burns' work was smoother and, by the end of the second, blood was running from his opponent's nose, Limond persisted in trying to be the aggressor.




Limond's face was now covered with blood from what seemed to be a broken nose after a Burns uppercut hit in the fourth round. That did not stop the underdog, who used a strong counter right to catch the Lanarkshire fighter as he entered.

The idea that this was purely an exhibition fight had been rejected by both parties, and Limond's expression said everything you needed to know. Nevertheless, he continued to pursue Burns, taking far more punishment than he was handing out but very rarely succeeding in finding a gap.




Limond's head was yanked back in the sixth round by a crunching Burns uppercut, and you wondered if the corner could intervene to stop the fight because blood was still oozing from his nose.




Limond, whose 19-year-old son Jake won on the undercard, may have sensed this and come out searching for the miracle blow that may change the course of events.

Burns was too skilled to let that to place. At the conclusion of round eight, the referee decided enough was enough and waved the fight off.




Burns received the emotional send-off he wanted in Glasgow, and while you may wonder why boxers with a combined age of 84 entered the ring, there is no denying that both competitors gave it their all.




When asked about his plans for boxing, Limond said, "I'm done. I'll just provide a quick response.

"I've got to pass the baton, I can't keep doing this. But I did enjoy the experience. It was good getting back in about it, it just wasn't good taking all those shots."




Meanwhile, on the undercard, Andy Tham produced an impressive display to capture the Scottish featherweight title with a sixth-round stoppage of Jack Turner.

Post a Comment

0 Comments